The Right Way to Select Your Mobile Antivirus
Mobile phones are vulnerable to online threats and hacks. Thousands of devices get compromised every day, and your phone isn’t immune to the risks too. One of the easiest ways to protect your phone is to use a paid or free antivirus app.
Today, I will give you a detailed guide on how to choose a mobile antivirus and reveal the best mobile antivirus apps for 2019.
How to Choose a Mobile Security App?
When it comes to getting the right mobile security app, you need to take a look at the features it has to offer. Here is a look at a few things that you need to take a note of.
Look for an antivirus which offers multiple layers of protection. You should look for bundle features like anti-phishing protection, malware detection, device scan- the more, the better!
Look Out for Performance Impact
Just like PC, the Android antivirus can slow down your mobile. Choose a security app which has less impact on phone performance, scans apps quickly and doesn’t increase the boot timing.
Viruses and malware are always changing, as cybercriminals find new ways to exploit the victims. Your Android or Apple antivirus should provide regular updates to protect you from the latest threats.
Do I Need Mobile Antivirus?
Anything that connects to the internet is vulnerable to viruses, hacks, and malware.
In 2017, more than 5 million malicious codes were injected on mobiles. More than 94,000 banking trojans and 544,000 ransomware infections have been traced to date.
95% Android phones can be hacked with just a text message. Even Apple had to remove 40 apps from their official store which were infected by malware.
Just like you protect your computer with antivirus, your mobile also needs protection with a mobile security app. You can secure your phone and sensitive data like contacts, messages, card details and documents from online threats.
The top mobile antivirus solutions can have the following features
- Active Scan: Actively scans the apps you download to identify problematic ones. Scans your web browsing and notifies in case of threats.
- Device scan: Scans your phone for viruses, malware, spyware, and other infections.
- Anti-Phishing: Detects malicious links and apps which could steal sensitive information or infect your phone.
- Backup: Creates a backup of your device data such as messages, videos, apps, contacts, texts on cloud or computer. You can use the backup to restore your phone in case anything goes wrong.
- Password Protection: Enables you to lock your apps and folders with a password to prevent unauthorized access.
- Intruder Alert: Takes a photo using the selfie camera when someone enters a wrong pattern or password.
- Locate My Phone: Locate your phone using GPS in case it gets lost or stolen.
- Remote Lock: Use a browser or text to remotely lock your phone in case it lands up in the wrong hands.
- Remote Wipe: Wipe all data on the device remotely.
Reliability and Security
You should check the reliability and security of any mobile antivirus app you choose. Going for reputed ones like Avast, Norton or Kaspersky makes sense as they are among the best security apps.
The app should be reliable, not causing conflict with system processes. It should also provide up to date protection and easy to navigate.
Free Antivirus Apps
To enable image stabilization, you’ll simply swipe from the right. It’ll warn you about cutting about 10% of the field of view:
Check out the following top mobile antivirus applications for free download-
AVG is a free antivirus for Android mobile. It protects you from malware and viruses and scans apps and settings in real-time. It can also scan WiFi networks and provides VPN for anonymous browsing.
Avast Mobile Security
Avast checks for threats in your device and shields your online activities for free. It runs active scans for phishing and malware and requires very less time to set up.
Norton Mobile Security
Norton brings you the mobile version of their antivirus with 100% detection rate. You can remove all risky and unwanted applications and enjoy premium features for free for 30 days.
McAfee Mobile Security & Lock
McAfee lets you enjoy premium features like anti-theft, WiFi scan, security lock completely for free! The app has also got many recognitions and awards for its performance.
360 Security is another popular mobile antivirus which offers premium features for free. It comes with antivirus, lock screen, speed booster, and anti-theft feature.
Should I Pay for Security?
You don’t need to pay for basic security features which come with free apps. Even reputed companies like Norton and McAfee have free versions of their antivirus which is sufficient for normal use.
But if you want to enjoy advanced features like remote wipe and GPS location, you need to pay for them. It makes sense to invest in a paid mobile phone antivirus if you own an expensive phone.
- Comprehensive scanning options
- Lots of security features
- Available for different platforms
- VPN and safe site for online protection and anonymity
- Device performance and optimization tools
- Comes with advanced two-wall firewall
- One account for all devices
- The renewal rates are quite high
- No free trial
- iOS app doesn't have antivirus
- No email protection
- Powerful and effective antivirus engine
- Bonus features at zero cost
- Can be customized according to your security preferences
- Network inspector, VPN mode, password manager
- Good scores from testing labs
- Comes with dedicated gaming mode
- Can impact the system performance for slower and older devices
- Contains advertisements to upgrade to pro version
- Secure browser collects search history and web behavior for selling to third parties
- Strong malware protection and system boosting tools in free version
- Works across multiple devices and operating systems
- Wide selection of antivirus solutions
- Light on system resources
- Simple and intuitive interface
- A limited number of devices covered in the free version
- Only Chrome and Firefox is compatible with Web Shield
- Doesn't have a free trial
- Limited choice of VPN servers