The Right Way to Choose a PC Antivirus
How secure is your PC? Cybercrime ranked as the second most reported crime in 2018 and the resulting damages are predicted to reach $6 trillion by 2021.
Incidents of hackings, cyber attacks, virus infections, information stealing are more common than you think. You are not safe with the basic Windows protection that comes with your PC. You need a good antivirus that helps you detect and stay protected from different types of threats.
So here’s a complete guide to choosing the best PC antivirus.
How do We Choose PC Antivirus?
Is the antivirus you’re choosing as good as it claims to be? When getting hold of antivirus, you need to know how easily you can protect your laptop or PC.
Here is a look at a few things you would want.
- You need your antivirus to protect your computer from phishing attacks and inspect WiFi and browsers for unsafe sources.
- You also need it to scan for vulnerable software which can be compromised by hackers.
- User-friendly and lightweight antivirus for PC to secure your computer against malware
- Preferably have a web plugin for safe browsing.
- Be able to block malicious websites and programs and get protection from phishing attacks.
- Comes with real-time file scanning to detect and prevent malware.
You can also check if it comes with a free VPN for anonymous browsing. Or, whether it has additional features like on-screen keyboards to type passwords.
Here is a look at a few of the things you need to check in detail.
Malware Detection Rate
Go for an antivirus which can detect 90% to 95% of malware. Look for reviews on by independent labs which test the antivirus for their performance.
Web and Email Protection
Your antivirus should automatically screen links and email attachments you access to detect malicious content.
The Windows Firewall does a good job of protecting your PC. But you can always use the extra layer of security provided by your antivirus firewall.
Antivirus programs can slow down your PC so pick a light one if you have an old or low-specification computer. The program should be light on resources both during active and background scan.
If you are paying for your antivirus, look for products which offer a multi-device license. You can protect your computer and mobile devices with a single subscription in this way.
PC Antivirus Features
Not all antivirus programs detect malware in the same way. Reliable products continuously check the computer for possible threats enabling you to take action before damage is done.
Your system can get infected in many ways- malicious programs can creep in through browsers, messengers, emails, downloads and other sources. The antivirus should offer protection to the entire spectrum of software and apps.
A good antivirus will also secure your PC from viruses, malware, spyware, trojans, worms and all forms of malicious content.
Some antivirus programs put virus and trojans in quarantine zones without deleting them. It’s better to use programs that automatically delete threats without waiting for your intervention.
Reliable antivirus applications offer automatic updates to keep your PC protected against new threats.
Keep Your Windows PC Safe from Threats
40% households experience some form of computer virus. The total amount lost due to viruses, phishing attacks and spyware is around $4.55 billion.
It’s a no brainer that you need to protect your PC with an antivirus. You should also adopt some safe practices to reduce the risks of infection and attacks.
Don’t open links, emails or programs when you are not sure of the source. Use the Windows firewall and antivirus firewall for securing your network and optimum protection.
Keep all software like browser and operating systems up to date as hackers and cybercriminals look for security holes to push their virus or trojans.
Malware comes in the disguise of legitimate software. Cybercriminals use malware to gain unauthorized access to your system, steal private data and spy on your activities.
In 2017, the malware variants increased by 88% while 1 out of 13 web sources led to malware.
You can unknowingly download malware and end up infecting your PC. But an antivirus scans your online activity and detects possible programs, emails and links that could contain malware. You get instant notifications which help you stay protected from malware.
Spyware is a form of malicious software used to track your activities and steal information. Spyware can have different forms like trojans, adware, keystroke loggers and password stealing applications.
Spyware contributed to the total number of cybercrime cases, which amounted to 978 million people in 2017 across 20 countries.
Your PC antivirus keeps your protected from spyware in the same way it works for malware. You can also run system scans to detect spyware which might have crept in without your knowledge.
- Comprehensive scanning options
- Lots of security features
- Available for different platforms
- VPN and safe site for online protection and anonymity
- Device performance and optimization tools
- Comes with advanced two-wall firewall
- One account for all devices
- The renewal rates are quite high
- No free trial
- iOS app doesn't have antivirus
- No email protection
- Powerful and effective antivirus engine
- Bonus features at zero cost
- Can be customized according to your security preferences
- Network inspector, VPN mode, password manager
- Good scores from testing labs
- Comes with dedicated gaming mode
- Can impact the system performance for slower and older devices
- Contains advertisements to upgrade to pro version
- Secure browser collects search history and web behavior for selling to third parties
- Strong malware protection and system boosting tools in free version
- Works across multiple devices and operating systems
- Wide selection of antivirus solutions
- Light on system resources
- Simple and intuitive interface
- A limited number of devices covered in the free version
- Only Chrome and Firefox is compatible with Web Shield
- Doesn't have a free trial
- Limited choice of VPN servers